See what makes August 3 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on August 3
- August 3, 0008 Roman Empire general Tiberius defeats Dalmatians on the river Bathinus.
- August 3, 0435 "Deposed Patriarch of Constantinople Nestorius, considered the originator of Nestorianism, was exiled by Byzantine Emperor Theodosius II to a monastery in Egypt."
- August 3, 0881 "Battle of Saucourt-en-Vimeu, where Louis III of France defeated the Vikings, an event celebrated in the poem Ludwigslied"
- August 3, 1492 "Columbus sets sail from Palos, Spain for ""Indies"""
- August 3, 1492 The Jews of Spain are expelled by the Catholic Monarchs.
- August 3, 1527 "First known letter was sent from North America by John Rut while at St. John's, Newfoundland."
- August 3, 1635 "The third of the Tokugawa shoguns, Iemitsu, establishes the system of alternate attendance (sankin kotai) by which the feudal daimy are required to spend one year at Edo Castle in Tokyo and one year back home at their feudal manor, while their families remained in Tokyo as virtual political hostages. (Traditional Japanese Date: June 21, 1635)."
- August 3, 1645 "Thirty Years' War: Second Battle of Nrdlingen (Battle of Allerheim) - A French army under the command of Louis de Bourbon, Duc d'Enghien and Marshal Henri, Vicomte de Turenne attacks and defeats an Imperial army, led by Field Marshal Franz Baron (Freiherr) von Mercy at Alerheim, near Nrdlingen, Germany."
- August 3, 1678 "Robert LaSalle builds first ship in America, Griffon"
- August 3, 1783 "Mount Asama erupts in Japan, killing 35,000 people."
- August 3, 1852 "First Boat Race between Yale and Harvard, the first American intercollegiate athletic event. Harvard won."
- August 3, 1852 "First intercollegiate rowing race, Harvard beats Yale by 4 lengths"
- August 3, 1860 American Canoe Association founded at Lake George NY
- August 3, 1860 Second Maori War begins
- August 3, 1860 The Second Maori War begins in New Zealand.
- August 3, 1861 "First manned balloon from a ship used to observe Confederate artillery position at Hampton Roads, VA"
- August 3, 1882 Congress passes first law restricting immigration
- August 3, 1900 Firestone Tire & Rubber Company founded.
- August 3, 1913 Wheatland Hop Riot
- August 3, 1914 "Australian government offers to place the vessels of the Royal Australian Navy under control of the British Admiralty and to raise a force of 20,000 troops in event of war"
- August 3, 1914 World War I: Germany declares war against France.
- August 3, 1916 "Australian Light Horse in battle of Romani, Egypt"
- August 3, 1921 First aerial cropdusting in Troy Ohio to kill caterpillars
- August 3, 1923 "Calvin Coolidge is sworn in as the 30th president of the United States, following the death of Warren G. Harding."
- August 3, 1923 The deceased Warren G. Harding was succeeded by Vice President Calvin Coolidge as the 30th President of the United States.
- August 3, 1934 Adolf Hitler becomes the supreme leader of Germany by joining the offices of President and Chancellor into Fhrer.
- August 3, 1934 "Three days of anti-Jewish rioting in Constantine, Algeria leave 23 Jews killed and 35 wounded. The pogroms are traced to Radio-Berlin and Radio-Stuttgart Nazi broadcasts."
- August 3, 1936 Jesse Owens wins the 100 meter dash by defeating Ralph Metcalfe at Berlin Olympics.
- August 3, 1936 "SS Calyx, built at Eems, Germany in 1929 and renamed in 1936, she sank at the entrance to Ipswich dock. Declared a total loss and later broken up at Ipswich."
- August 3, 1936 The U.S. State Department urges Americans living in Spain to leave because of the Spanish civil war.
- August 3, 1940 Lithuanian is accepted into the USSR
- August 3, 1943 "A private in an army hospital in Sicily is slapped by U.S. General George S. Patton, who accused the soldier of cowardice. Patton later apologized for the incident, at the request of General Dwight D. Eisenhower."
- August 3, 1948 Whittaker Chambers accuses Alger Hiss of being a communist and a spy for the Soviet Union.
- August 3, 1949 National Basketball Association is founded in the United States.
- August 3, 1949 The National Basketball Association was formed.
- August 3, 1950 "Elements of Marine Corps Observation Squadron, VMO-6, equipped with HO3S helicopters and OY observation planes, began operations in Korea"
- August 3, 1952 15th Olympic games close in Helsinki Finland
- August 3, 1954 First VTOL (Vertical Take-off & Land) airplane flown
- August 3, 1955 Automobile Association of America ends support of auto racing
- August 3, 1955 Hurricane Connie begins pounding US for 11 days
- August 3, 1956 Willie Williams of the US sets 100 meter record at 10.1
- August 3, 1958 The Billboard Hot 100 is founded
- August 3, 1958 The nuclear submarine USS Nautilus travels beneath the Arctic ice cap.
- August 3, 1958 The USS Nautilus (the first nuclear submarine) passes under the North Pole.
- August 3, 1960 Niger gains independence from France
- August 3, 1961 Number one hit on UK music charts - Eden Kane - Well I Ask You
- August 3, 1963 "Allan Sherman releases hit ""Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda"""
- August 3, 1963 Beatles final performance at the Cavern Club in Liverpool
- August 3, 1963 Great Train Robbery in Britain
- August 3, 1970 First submerged launching of Poseidon nuclear missile off Cape Kennedy
- August 3, 1970 "Hurricane ""Celia"" becomes most expensive Gulf storm in history"
- August 3, 1970 "Mairiam Hargrave of Yorkshire, passes her driving test on 40th try"
- August 3, 1972 U.S. Senate ratifies the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.
- August 3, 1973 "Flash fire kills 51 at amusement park. (Isle of Man, UK)"
- August 3, 1975 500 drown when 2 river boats collide & sink in China's West River
- August 3, 1975 "A privately chartered Boeing 707 impacts the mountainside near Agadir, Morocco killing 188."
- August 3, 1975 Louisiana Superdome is dedicated
- August 3, 1977 Radio Shack announces TRS-80 computer. Within weeks thousands were ordered
- August 3, 1977 United States Senate Hearing on MKULTRA.
- August 3, 1981 "Senegalese opposition parties, under the leadership of Mamadou Dia, launches the Antiimperialist Action Front-Suxxali Reew Mi."
- August 3, 1984 365.7 million shares traded in NY Stock Exchange
- August 3, 1985 Number one hit on UK music charts - Madonna - Into The Groove
- August 3, 1989 Lawrence Delisle drives his 4 kids into river
- August 3, 1990 "Radio Kuwait goes off the air, due to the Iraqi invasion"
- August 3, 1990 US announces commitment of Naval forces to Gulf regions
- August 3, 1991 Pan Am games open in Havana
- August 3, 1996 "General William F. Garrison accepted responsibility for the outcome of the 1993 raid in Somalia, and he retired from military service."
- August 3, 1997 Oued El-Had and Mezouara massacre in Algeria; 40-76 villagers killed.
- August 3, 2001 "The Real IRA detonate a car bomb in Ealing, London, U.K injuring seven people. (See 3 August 2001 Ealing bombing)."
- August 3, 2004 "The pedestal of the Statue of Liberty reopens after being closed since the September 11, 2001 attacks."
- August 3, 2005 President Maaouya Ould Sid'Ahmed Taya of Mauritania is overthrown in a military coup while attending the funeral of King Fahd in Saudi Arabia.
- August 3, 2009 185 people are killed in tribal clashes in South Sudan.
- August 3, 2009 "A town in Qinghai, China, is sealed off after a second person dies of pneumonic plague."
- August 3, 2009 An Australian radio show is axed and presenter Kyle Sandilands sacked from a television show after a lie detector stunt sees a 14-year-old girl say she was raped so her mother could claim Pink tickets.
- August 3, 2009 "Barclays posts a profit of ś2.98bn for the first half of the year, up 8% on the same period of 2008."
- August 3, 2009 Bolivia becomes the first country in the history of South America to declare the right of indigenous people to govern themselves.
- August 3, 2009 "Continental Airlines Flight 128, from Rio de Janeiro to Houston, makes an emergency landing in Miami after severe turbulence, injuring dozens."
- August 3, 2009 Evidence that haggis was invented by the English is unearthed.
- August 3, 2009 Georgia accuses Russia of trying to seize more of its territory as the anniversary of the 2008 war between the two countries approaches.
- August 3, 2009 "Iran is reportedly ready to build a nuclear weapon, according to Western intelligence services."
- August 3, 2009 Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei formally approves the second-term presidency of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- August 3, 2009 "Several earthquakes, including one of 6.9 magnitude, hit northwestern Mexico."
- August 3, 2009 Somali pirates release a Malaysian tugboat with 11 Indonesian crew after being held for more than seven months. (
- August 3, 2009 The death sentences of more than 4000 prisoners in Kenya are commuted to life imprisonment.
- August 3, 2009 The Washington Post newspaper in the United States reports that officials are considering a plan to move Guant namo Bay detainees to a prison camp.
- August 3, 2009 "Water supplies in Chifeng, Inner Mongolia, China, are cut off to over 580,000 people after contaminants caused the hospitalization of 4,125 people due to gastrointestinal illness."