See what makes November 5 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on November 5
- November 5, 1492 Corn is discovered by Spanish explorers in Cuba.
- November 5, 1499 Publication of the Catholicon in Treguier (Brittany). This Breton-French-Latin dictionary was written in 1464 by Jehan Lagadeuc. It is the first Breton dictionary as well as the first French dictionary.
- November 5, 1530 St. Felix's Flood destroys the city of Reimerswaal in the Netherlands
- November 5, 1556 "Second Battle of Panipat: Fifty miles north of Delhi, a Mughal Army defeats Hindu forces of General Hemu to ensure Akbar the throne of India. In the battle, Hemu became unconscious when an arrow stuck into his right eye. He was brought as captive to Akbar and was hanged."
- November 5, 1605 "Gunpowder Plot: A plot led by Robert Catesby to blow up the English Houses of Parliament is thwarted when Sir Thomas Knyvet, a justice of the peace, finds Guy Fawkes in a cellar below the Parliament building."
- November 5, 1605 Gunpowder Plot; Catholics try to blow up English Parliament. Plot uncovered & leader Guy Fawkes hanged
- November 5, 1688 Glorious Revolution begins: William of Orange lands at Brixham.
- November 5, 1768 Treaty of Fort Stanwix The purpose of the conference was to adjust the boundary line between Indian lands and white settlements set forth in the Proclamation of 1763 in the Thirteen Colonies.
- November 5, 1780 French-American force under Colonel LaBalme is defeated by Miami Chief Little Turtle.
- November 5, 1781 "John Hanson elected first ""President of the US in Congress assembled"""
- November 5, 1811 El Salvador's first battle against Spain for independence
- November 5, 1831 "Nat Turner, American slave leader, is tried, convicted, and sentenced to death."
- November 5, 1838 Honduras declares independence of Central American Federation
- November 5, 1852 The American Society of Civil Engineers is organized.
- November 5, 1854 The Battle of Inkerman is fought during the Crimean War.
- November 5, 1862 "Indian Wars: In Minnesota, more than 300 Santee Sioux are found guilty of rape and murder of white settlers and are sentenced to hang."
- November 5, 1872 "Women's suffrage: In defiance of the law, suffragist Susan B. Anthony votes for the first time, and is later fined $100."
- November 5, 1889 Idaho's constitution is adopted.
- November 5, 1895 George B. Selden is granted the first U.S. patent for an automobile.
- November 5, 1895 "Inventor George B. Selden receives a patent on a ""road engine,"" the first gas-powered automobile."
- November 5, 1911 "After declaring war on the Ottoman Empire on September 29, 1911, Italy annexes Tripoli and Cyrenaica."
- November 5, 1911 "Calbraith Rodgers arrives in Pasadena completing first transcontinental airplane flight (49 days) (left Sheepshead Bay, NY, Sept 17)"
- November 5, 1911 "Italy attacks Turkey, takes Tipoli & Cyrenaica"
- November 5, 1912 Woodrow Wilson (D) beats Theodore Roosevelt (Prog) & President Taft (R)
- November 5, 1912 "Woodrow Wilson is elected U.S. President, beating challenger Theodore Roosevelt and incumbent William Howard Taft."
- November 5, 1913 "The insane king Otto of Bavaria is deposed by his cousin, Prince Regent Ludwig, who assumes the title Ludwig III."
- November 5, 1913 "United Kingdom annexes Cyprus, and together with France declares war on the Ottoman Empire."
- November 5, 1914 Britain annexes Cyprus
- November 5, 1916 The Everett Massacre takes place as political differences lead to a shoot-out between IWW organizers and local police.
- November 5, 1916 The Kingdom of Poland is proclaimed by the Act of November 5th of the emperors of Germany and Austria-Hungary.
- November 5, 1917 Gen Pershing & US troops see action on Western Front for first time
- November 5, 1917 "October Revolution: In Tallinn, Esthonia, Communist leader Jaan Anwelt leads revolutionaries in overthrowing the Provisional Government (As Esthonia and Russia are still using the Julian Calendar, subsequent period references show an October 23 date)."
- November 5, 1917 St. Tikhon of Moscow is elected the Patriarch of Moscow and of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- November 5, 1917 Supreme Court decision (Buchanan v Warley) strikes down Lousiville KY ordinance requiring blacks & whites to live in separate areas
- November 5, 1935 Maryland Court of Appeals orders U of M to admit (black) Donald Murray
- November 5, 1935 Parker Brothers launches game of Monopoly
- November 5, 1940 President FDR (D) wins unprecedented 3rd term beating Wendell Willkie (R)
- November 5, 1942 "The World War II Second Battle of El Alamein is won by the British in El Alamein, Egypt."
- November 5, 1942 Theatrical agent George M. Cohan dies.
- November 5, 1945 Colombia joins the United Nations.
- November 5, 1946 John F Kennedy (D-MA) elected to House of Representatives
- November 5, 1953 "Paul Searls saws a 32"" log in 86.4 seconds"
- November 5, 1955 New Vienna Opera house opens (Austria)
- November 5, 1956 Britain & France land forces in Egypt
- November 5, 1962 "A mining accident kills 21 miners at the government-owned Kings Bay Coal Company on Svalbard, leading the Norwegian government to close the mine."
- November 5, 1964 US launches Mariner 3 toward Mars; no data returned
- November 5, 1965 State of Emergency declared in Rhodesia after collapse of negotiations with Great Britain over Rhodesian independence (UDI would follow six days later).
- November 5, 1967 ATS-3 launched by US to take first pictures of full Earth disk
- November 5, 1967 The Hither Green rail crash in the United Kingdom kills 49 people. The survivors include Bee Gee Robin Gibb.
- November 5, 1968 Nixon (R) beats VP Humphrey (D) & George C Wallace for Presidency
- November 5, 1973 BART starts San Francisco-Daly City train shuttle service
- November 5, 1974 Ella Grasso (Ct) elected first woman US gov not related to previous gov
- November 5, 1974 "Walter E Washington, becomes first elected mayor of Wash DC"
- November 5, 1976 "The latest model of the Sea Cobra helicopter, the AH-1T, was turned over to the Marine Corps from Bell Helicopter Textron for further testing."
- November 5, 1977 "Guy Lombardo orchestra leader (Auld Lang Syne), dies in Houston at 75"
- November 5, 1977 Number one hit on UK music charts - Abba - The Name Of The Game
- November 5, 1978 Iranian PM Jaafar Sharif-Emami resigns to Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi
- November 5, 1979 "Al Capp cartoonist (Lil' Abner), dies at 70"
- November 5, 1979 "Ayatollah Khomeini declares the USA to be ""the great Satan""."
- November 5, 1981 "Former Dolphin, Mercury Morris, is sentenced to 20 years for drug trafficking, conspiracy, & possession of cocaine"
- November 5, 1982 "Jacques Tati actor/director, dies of pulmonary embolism"
- November 5, 1983 Byford Dolphin diving bell accident kills five and leaves one severely injured.
- November 5, 1983 Number one hit on UK music charts - Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
- November 5, 1983 Orbiter Discovery (OV-103) moves overland to Dryden
- November 5, 1986 "USS Rentz (FFG-46), USS Reeves (DLG-24) and USS Oldendorf (DD-972) visit Qingdao (Tsing Tao) China the first US Naval visit to China since 1949."
- November 5, 1987 Govan Mbeki is released from custody after serving 24 years in prison. He had been sentenced to life for terrorism and treason.
- November 5, 1987 Iceberg twice the size of Rhode Island sighted in Antarctic
- November 5, 1987 Supreme Court nominee Douglas H Ginsburg admitted using marijuana
- November 5, 1988 Cornell confirms grad student source of worst computer sabotage
- November 5, 1988 Japan beats MLB all stars 2-1 in Tokyo (Game 1 of 7)
- November 5, 1989 "Barry Sadler singer (Green Berets), dies at 49 in Murfreesboro Tn"
- November 5, 1989 "US plays El Salvador, in 3rd round of 1990 world soccer cup"
- November 5, 1989 "Vladamir Horowitz pianist, dies at 85"
- November 5, 1990 "Rabbi Meir Kahane, founder of the far-right Kach movement, is shot dead after a speech at a New York City hotel."
- November 5, 1991 "Fred MacMurray actor (My Three Sons), dies at 84"
- November 5, 1991 "Fred MacMurray, actor (My Three Sons), dies of pneumonia at age 83."
- November 5, 1991 "Robert Maxwell Billionaire publisher (NY Daily News), dies at 68"
- November 5, 1994 Forty-five year old George Foreman becomes boxing's oldest heavyweight champion when he knocks out Michael Moorer.
- November 5, 1995 Andr Dallaire attempts to assassinate Jean Chrtien; he is thwarted when the Prime Minister's wife locks the door.
- November 5, 2006 "Saddam Hussein, former president of Iraq, and his co-defendants Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti and Awad Hamed al-Bandar are sentenced to death in the al-Dujail trial for the role in the massacre of the 148 Shi'as in 1982."
- November 5, 2009 13 people die and 30 people are injured in a shooting at the Fort Hood U.S. Army base in Texas. Fort Hood is currently under lock-down.
- November 5, 2009 A U2 concert held at the Brandenburg Gate to mark the 20th anniversary of the Berlin Wall's fall is controversial when a wall is built around the venue.
- November 5, 2009 "A United Nations court imposes a defense lawyer on former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadžic, and postpones his trial until March 2009."
- November 5, 2009 An international team of scientists announces that the genome of the domestic horse has been successfully sequenced.
- November 5, 2009 China postpones a plan to raise the Three Gorges reservoir to its ideal height due to lack of water.
- November 5, 2009 "France's Europe Minister Pierre Lellouche describes the UK's Conservative Party pledge to return powers from Brussels to London as ""pathetic""."
- November 5, 2009 Hurricane Ida makes landfall in Nicaragua
- November 5, 2009 Paraguay's President Fernando Lugo replaces top military commanders amid rumours of a coup d'état.
- November 5, 2009 "Ratu Epeli Nailatikau is sworn in as President of Fiji, succeeding Ratu Josefa Iloilo who retired in July 2009."
- November 5, 2009 "Saudi Arabia lifts a nine-year ban on Somali livestock imports, reopening Somalia's main export market"
- November 5, 2009 "South Africa's Olympic governing body suspends Leonard Chuene, the President of Athletics South Africa, and apologises to Caster Semenya over the controversy it generated over her gender."
- November 5, 2009 Thailand and Cambodia recall their ambassadors over the Cambodian government appointment of former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.
- November 5, 2009 "The International Criminal Court is to open an investigation into the 2007 Kenyan post-election violence in which more than 1,000 people died."
- November 5, 2009 The Swedish and Finnish authorities give a permit to build the controversial Nord Stream gas pipeline in their exclusive economic zones.
- November 5, 2009 The United Nations is to pull non-essential staff out of Afghanistan after an increase in violence in the country.
- November 5, 2009 Two senior Indonesian officials resign over a plot to weaken the anti-corruption agency.
- November 5, 2009 "Venezuela deploys 15,000 troops to its border with Colombia."
- November 5, 2009 Zimbabwean Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai ends his boycott of the unity government.