See what makes November 11 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on November 11
- November 11, 0308 "The Congress of Carnuntum: Attempting to keep peace within the Roman Empire, the leaders of the Tetrarchy declare Maxentius and Licinius to be Augusti, while rival contender Constantine I is declared Caesar of Britain and Gaul."
- November 11, 0537 St Silverius ends his reign as Catholic Pope
- November 11, 1215 4th Lateran Council (12th ecumenical council) opens in Rome
- November 11, 1215 "The Fourth Lateran Council meets, defining the doctrine of transubstantiation, the process by which bread and wine are transformed into the body and blood of Christ."
- November 11, 1500 Treaty of Granada Louis XII of France and Ferdinand II of Aragon agree to divide the Kingdom of Naples between them.
- November 11, 1620 "41 pilgrims land in Massachusetts, sign Mayflower Compact (just and equal laws)"
- November 11, 1620 "In what is now Provincetown Harbor near Cape Cod, the Mayflower Compact is signed on the Mayflower, establishing the basic laws for the Plymouth Colony. (Old Style date, 21 November in New Style date.)"
- November 11, 1634 "Following pressure from Anglican bishop John Atherton, the Irish House of Commons passes ""An Act for the Punishment for the Vice of Buggery""."
- November 11, 1648 "Dutch and French agree to divide St Maarten, Leeward Islands"
- November 11, 1673 "Second Battle of Khotyn in the Ukraine, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth forces under the command of Jan Sobieski. defeat the Ottoman army. In this battle, rockets of Kazimierz Siemienowicz were successfully used."
- November 11, 1675 Gottfried Leibniz demonstrated integral calculus for the first time to find the area under the graph of y = f(x) function.
- November 11, 1724 "Joseph Blake, alias Blueskin, a highwayman known for attacking ""Thief-Taker General"" (and thief) Jonathan Wild at the Old Bailey, is hanged in London."
- November 11, 1750 "The F.H.C. Society, also known as the Flat Hat Club, was formed at Raleigh Tavern, Williamsburg, Virginia. It was the first college fraternity."
- November 11, 1778 "Cherry Valley Massacre: an attack by Loyalists and Seneca Indian forces on a fort and village in eastern New York during the American Revolutionary War, killing more than forty civilians and soldiers."
- November 11, 1778 Iroquois Indians in NY kill 40 in Cherry Valley Massacre
- November 11, 1790 Chrysanthemums are introduced into England from China
- November 11, 1811 Cartagena Colombia declares independence from Spain
- November 11, 1831 "In Jerusalem, Virginia, Nat Turner is hanged after inciting a violent slave uprising."
- November 11, 1839 "The Virginia Military Institute is founded in Lexington, Virginia."
- November 11, 1864 "Sherman's troops destroy Rome, Georgia"
- November 11, 1865 "Mary Edward Walker, the first female Army surgeon, awarded Medal of Honor"
- November 11, 1865 Treaty of Sinchula is signed in which Bhutan ceded the areas east of the Teesta River to the British East India Company.
- November 11, 1880 Australian Bushranger Ned Kelly is hanged at Melbourne Gaol.
- November 11, 1887 "Anarchist Haymarket Martyrs August Spies, Albert Parsons, Adolph Fischer and George Engel are executed."
- November 11, 1887 Construction of the Manchester Ship Canal starts at Eastham.
- November 11, 1889 Washington admitted as 42nd state
- November 11, 1889 Washington is admitted as the 42nd U.S. state.
- November 11, 1895 Bechuanaland becomes part of the Cape Colony
- November 11, 1911 Many cities in the U.S. Midwest broke their record highs and lows on the same day as a strong cold front rolls through.
- November 11, 1918 Armistice Day-WW I ends (at 11 AM on Western Front)
- November 11, 1918 Emperor Charles I of Austria relinquishes power.
- November 11, 1918 Jzef Pisudski comes to Warsaw and assumes supreme military power in Poland. Poland regains its independence.
- November 11, 1918 World War I ends: Germany signs an armistice agreement with the Allies in a railroad car outside of Compigne in France. The war officially stops at 11:00 (The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month).
- November 11, 1919 "The Centralia Massacre in Centralia, Washington results the deaths of four members of the American Legion and the lynching of a local leader of the IWW."
- November 11, 1921 President Harding dedicates Tomb of Unknown Soldier
- November 11, 1921 The Tomb of the Unknowns is dedicated by US President Warren G. Harding at Arlington National Cemetery.
- November 11, 1922 Largest US flag displayed (150' X 90') expanded in 1939 (270' X 90')
- November 11, 1924 Palace of Legion of Honor dedicated (San Francisco)
- November 11, 1924 Prime Minister Alexandros Papanastasiou proclaims the first Greek Republic.
- November 11, 1925 Robert Millikan announces discovery of cosmic rays
- November 11, 1926 U.S. Route 66 is established.
- November 11, 1930 "Patent number US1781541 was awarded to Albert Einstein and Le Szilrd for their invention, the Einstein refrigerator."
- November 11, 1933 """Great Black Blizzard"",the first great dust storm of the depression arrives on the Great Plains"
- November 11, 1933 "Dust Bowl: In South Dakota, a very strong dust storm strips topsoil from desiccated farmlands."
- November 11, 1935 "Explorer 2 balloon sets altitude record of 72,000 feet over SD"
- November 11, 1940 Armistice Day Blizzard: An unexpected blizzard kills 144 in U.S. Midwest.
- November 11, 1940 Blizzard strikes midwestern US killing over 100
- November 11, 1940 "The German cruiser Atlantis captures top secret British mail, and sends it to Japan."
- November 11, 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
- November 11, 1942 During WW II Germany completes their occupation of France
- November 11, 1962 Kuwait's National Assembly ratifies the Constitution of Kuwait.
- November 11, 1965 "In Rhodesia (modern-day Zimbabwe), the white-minority government of Ian Smith unilaterally declares independence."
- November 11, 1965 Rhodesia proclaimed independence from Britain by PM Ian D Smith
- November 11, 1966 Gemini 12 launched on 4-day flight
- November 11, 1966 NASA launches spaceship Gemini 12.
- November 11, 1967 "Vietnam War: In a propaganda ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, three American prisoners of war are released by the Viet Cong and turned over to ""new left"" antiwar activist Tom Hayden."
- November 11, 1968 A second republic is declared in the Maldives.
- November 11, 1968 "John Lennon and Yoko Ono appear nude on cover of ""2 Virgins"" album"
- November 11, 1968 Maldives (in Indian Ocean) become a republic
- November 11, 1972 Number one hit on UK music charts - Gilbert O'Sullivan - Clair
- November 11, 1972 US Army turns over Long Bihn base to South Vietnamese army
- November 11, 1975 Angola gains independence from Portugal (National Day)
- November 11, 1975 "Australian constitutional crisis of 1975: Australian Governor-General Sir John Kerr dismisses the government of Gough Whitlam and commissions Malcolm Fraser as caretaker Prime Minister, and announces a general election to be held in early December."
- November 11, 1975 Australian PM removed by crown (1st elected PM removed in 200 years)
- November 11, 1980 Crew of Soyuz 35 returns to Earth aboard Soyuz 37
- November 11, 1983 President Reagan became first US President to address Japan's legislature
- November 11, 1987 "Van Gogh's paining the ""Irises"" sells for record $53.6 M at auction"
- November 11, 1988 Oldest known insect fossils (390 million years) reported in Science
- November 11, 1989 Number one hit on UK music charts - Lisa Stansfield - All Around The World
- November 11, 1993 Entombment at the Australian War Memorial of the remains of an Unknown Australian Soldier from a World War One cemetery in France
- November 11, 2000 "In Kaprun, Austria, 155 skiers and snowboarders die when a cable car catches fire in an alpine tunnel."
- November 11, 2004 "New Zealand Tomb of the Unknown Warrior dedicated at the National War Memorial, Wellington."
- November 11, 2004 "Yasser Arafat is confirmed dead by the Palestine Liberation Organization, of unidentified causes. Mahmoud Abbas is elected chairman of the PLO minutes later."
- November 11, 2006 "Last sailing of the Star Ferry from the Edinburgh Place Ferry Pier, Hong Kong"
- November 11, 2006 "The New Zealand war memorial monument was unveiled by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in London, United Kingdom, commemorating the loss on soldiers from the New Zealand Army and the British Army."
- November 11, 2007 "Kerch Strait Oil Spill. Very strong storm Black Sea, four sank, six ran aground on a sandbank and two tankers were damaged in provoking a major pollution and the dead of 23 sailors. 2000 tonnes of crude oil spilt into the Kerch Strait."
- November 11, 2007 "Slovak website Beo.sk came into existence, replacing the former Nrodn pozorovate (National Observer)."
- November 11, 2009 A gold mining operation is investigated by Chinese authorities after allegations it has damaged part of the Great Wall of China in Inner Mongolia.
- November 11, 2009 "A Russian-born German man is sentenced to life imprisonment for fatally stabbing Marwa El-Sherbini in a court, an attack that caused uproar in the Muslim world."
- November 11, 2009 "Anti-monarchy protesters and riot police clash in Montreal, Quebec during a tour by Prince Charles."
- November 11, 2009 Cambodia rejects a request by Thailand to extradite ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.
- November 11, 2009 "For the first time since World War I, the leaders of Germany and France appear together at a ceremony on Remembrance Day to commemorate the end of the conflict."
- November 11, 2009 Iran protests to Oxford University's Queen's College over a scholarship in memory of the slain Iranian student Neda Agha Soltan.
- November 11, 2009 Local government offices in southern Nepal shut in protest after a senior local official is slapped by Deputy Agriculture Minister Karima Begam.
- November 11, 2009 Officials in Brazil investigate the cause of a massive power cut which may have affected a fifth of the population and neighbouring Paraguay.
- November 11, 2009 "Raymond Jessup is sentenced to 10 years in prison for sexual assault of an underage girl after the April 2008 raid of the YFZ Ranch in Eldorado, Texas."
- November 11, 2009 South Korean troops are put on high alert for possible retaliation after a naval clash with North Korea yesterday.
- November 11, 2009 The classic Yahoo homepage retired today.
- November 11, 2009 "The discovery of a new dinosaur species, named Aardonyx celestae, in South Africa is announced."
- November 11, 2009 "Two bloggers from Azerbaijan, Emin Milli and Adnan Hajizade, are sentenced by a court for ""hooliganism"" in a restaurant scuffle linked to the posting of a satirical video dressed as a donkey on Youtube that mocked government restrictions on civil liberties."
- November 11, 2009 "Yemen criticises ""interference"" by Iran in the conflict with Houthi rebels in the country, after Iran criticised Saudi Arabian intervention in the conflict."