See what makes November 27 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on November 27
- November 27, 0399 St Anastasius I begins his reign as Catholic Pope
- November 27, 1095 Pope Urban II declares the First Crusade at the Council of Clermont.
- November 27, 1095 "Pope Urban receives an appeal from the Byzantine emperor Alexius Comnenus for aid against the Seljuk Turks He proclaims the crusade November 27 at the Synod of Clermont, and he excommunicates France's Philip I for adultery "
- November 27, 1295 "The first elected representatives from Lancashire were called to Westminster by King Edward I to attend what later became known as ""The Model Parliament""."
- November 27, 1703 The first Eddystone Lighthouse is destroyed in the Great Storm of 1703.
- November 27, 1807 The Portuguese Royal Family leaves Lisbon to escape from Napoleonic troops
- November 27, 1815 Cracow (Poland) declared a free republic
- November 27, 1817 "US soldiers attack Florida Indian village, beginning Seminole War"
- November 27, 1839 American Statistical Association organizes in Boston
- November 27, 1843 "The opera ""The Bohemian Girl"" is produced (London)"
- November 27, 1870 "NY Times dubs baseball ""The National Game"""
- November 27, 1885 Earliest photograph of a meteor shower made
- November 27, 1889 Curtis P. Brady was issued the first permit to drive an automobile through Central Park in New York City. Mr. Brady had to pledge to New York's finest that he would not frighten the horses in the park.
- November 27, 1890 Firstsignal box for San Francisco Police Department goes into operation
- November 27, 1895 Alfred Nobel establishes Nobel Prize
- November 27, 1895 "At the Swedish-Norwegian Club in Paris, Alfred Nobel signs his last will and testament, setting aside his estate to establish the Nobel Prize after he dies."
- November 27, 1898 "Side-wheeler ""Portland"" sinks off Cape Cod, 190 die"
- November 27, 1901 Army War College established in Washington DC
- November 27, 1901 U.S. Army War College is established.
- November 27, 1903 "The opera ""Die Heugierigen Frauen"" is produced (Munich)"
- November 27, 1910 NY's Penn Station opens as world's largest railway terminal
- November 27, 1912 Albanian National Flag adopted
- November 27, 1912 Spain declares a protectorate over the north shore of Morocco.
- November 27, 1912 Spanish protectorate in Morocco established
- November 27, 1916 "City of Birmingham, an Ellerman Lines ship, of 7,498 grt, and built by Palmers of Newcastle upon Tyne in 1911, she was torpedoed by the German submarine U32, 90 miles south-east of Malta while bound from Liverpool to Karachi. with 315 passengers and crew on board, 4 lost their lives, all crew"
- November 27, 1919 Haiti becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires copyright treaty.
- November 27, 1919 "Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity is founded in Stillwater, Oklahoma."
- November 27, 1924 "57,000 watch a High School football game in LA"
- November 27, 1926 "110,000 watch Army andNavy play a 21-all tie"
- November 27, 1926 KXL-AM in Portland OR begins radio transmissions
- November 27, 1926 "Restoration of Williamsburg, Virginia, begins"
- November 27, 1934 Bank robber Baby Face Nelson dies in a shoot-out with the FBI.
- November 27, 1937 "Pro-labor musical revue ""Pins and Needles"" opens, produced by ILGWU"
- November 27, 1939 Inauguration of Empire Air Training Scheme (EATS)
- November 27, 1940 "In Romania, the ruling party Iron Guard arrests and executes over 60 of exiled King Carol II of Romania's aides, including former minister Nicolae Iorga."
- November 27, 1940 "World War II: At the Battle of Cape Spartivento, the Royal Navy engages the Regia Marina in the Mediterranean Sea."
- November 27, 1941 USSR begins a counter offensive causing Germany to retreat
- November 27, 1942 French navy at Toulon scuttles ships and subs so Nazis don't take them
- November 27, 1942 "World War II: At Toulon, the French navy scuttles its ships and submarines to keep them out of Nazi hands."
- November 27, 1944 "World War II: An explosion at a RAF ammunition dump at Fauld, Staffordshire kills seventy people."
- November 27, 1945 Gen George C Marshall named special US envoy to China
- November 27, 1947 "Joe DiMaggio wins his 3rd MVP, beating Ted Williams by 1 vote"
- November 27, 1951 "The First rocket to intercept an airplane, White Sands, NM"
- November 27, 1954 Alger Hiss is released from prison after serving 44 months for perjury.
- November 27, 1957 "Army withdraws from Little Rock AR, after Central HS integration"
- November 27, 1958 USSR abrogates Allied war-time agreements on control of Germany
- November 27, 1960 Gordie Howe of the Detroit Red Wings becomes the first player to reach the NHL landmark of 1000 points.
- November 27, 1960 "Trailing 38-7 late in 3rd quarter, Buffalo Bills tie Broncos at 38-38"
- November 27, 1963 The Convention on the Unification of Certain Points of Substantive Law on Patents for Invention is signed at Strasbourg.
- November 27, 1964 "Cold War: Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru appeals to the United States and the Soviet Union to end nuclear testing and to start nuclear disarmament, stating that such an action would ""save humanity from the ultimate disaster""."
- November 27, 1965 "French satellite launched, France becomes 3rd nation in space"
- November 27, 1965 "Vietnam War: The Pentagon tells U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson that if planned operations are to succeed, the number of American troops in Vietnam has to be increased from 120,000 to 400,000."
- November 27, 1966 "In highest-scoring NFL game, Wash Redskins defeat NY Giants 72-41"
- November 27, 1966 The Washington Redskins defeat the New York Giants 72-41 in the highest scoring game in NFL history.
- November 27, 1967 "Beatles release ""Magical Mystery Tour"""
- November 27, 1967 Gold pool nations pledge support of $35 per ounce gold price
- November 27, 1970 Pope Paul VI wounded in chest during a visit to Philippines by a dagger-wielding Bolivian painter disguised as a priest
- November 27, 1971 Mars 2 of the Soviet space program landed on Mars.
- November 27, 1971 Soviet Mars 2 becomes first spacecraft to crash land on Mars
- November 27, 1972 "Yanks trade Ellis, Torres andSpikes to Indians for Nettles andMoses"
- November 27, 1973 Senate votes 92-3 to confirm Gerald R Ford as VP
- November 27, 1975 "The Provisional IRA assassinates Ross McWhirter, after a press conference in which McWhirter announced a reward for the capture of those responsible for multiple bombings and shootings across England."
- November 27, 1980 "Soyuz T-3 carries 3 cosmonauts to Salyut 6 space station, launched"
- November 27, 1983 "A Colombian Boeing 747 crashes near Madrid's Barajas Airport, killing 183."
- November 27, 1983 Colombian Avianca Airlines Boeing 747 crashes in Madrid killing 185
- November 27, 1985 Republic of Ireland gains consultative role in Northern Ireland
- November 27, 1989 Colombian jetliner bombed killing 107
- November 27, 1990 Britain's conservatives chose John Major to succeed Margaret Thatcher
- November 27, 1990 The British Conservative Party chooses John Major to succeed Margaret Thatcher as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- November 27, 1992 "For the second time in a year, military forces try to overthrow president Carlos Andres Perez in Venezuela."
- November 27, 1997 Twenty-five are killed in the second Souhane massacre in Algeria.
- November 27, 1999 The left-wing Labour Party takes control of the New Zealand government with leader Helen Clark becoming the first elected female Prime Minister in New Zealand's history.
- November 27, 2000 "The Liberal government in Canada is re-elected for another 5 years, HO Well"
- November 27, 2001 "A hydrogen atmosphere is discovered on the extrasolar planet Osiris by the Hubble Space Telescope, the first atmosphere detected on an extrasolar planet."
- November 27, 2005 "The first partial human face transplant is completed in Amiens, France."
- November 27, 2009 "A ferry carrying over 1000 people partially sinks in the Tetulia river in southern Bangladesh, trapping an unknown number of people."
- November 27, 2009 "A mass shooting at a Thanksgiving party in Jupiter, Florida, United States kills four people and critically wounds a fifth."
- November 27, 2009 "A Russian high-speed passenger train traveling on the Moscow–Saint Petersburg Railway derails near Uglovka in a suspected terrorist attack, killing 26 people and injuring more than 100."
- November 27, 2009 "At the Khmer Rouge war crimes trial, Kaing Guek Eav, known as Duch, pleads to be released."
- November 27, 2009 "Franz Josef Jung resigns as Germany's Minister of Labour and Social Affairs following allegations of covering up the Kunduz airstrike, during which he served as Minister of Defence."
- November 27, 2009 "Hundreds of people attend the funeral held for a police officer who died when a bridge collapsed in Workington, Cumbria."
- November 27, 2009 "Important Islamic date - Eid ul-Adha: November 27, 2009"
- November 27, 2009 "Multibillion-dollar debt problems of Emirati investment company Dubai World, including the possibility of default, upset markets worldwide."
- November 27, 2009 President of the European Commission José Manuel Barroso nominates a new team of commissioners for his second five-year term.
- November 27, 2009 Prince Charles visits areas of Cumbria hit by the recent floods.
- November 27, 2009 Royal Engineers from the British Army begin construction of a temporary footbridge over the River Derwent.
- November 27, 2009 "South Korea's Truth and Reconciliation Commission acknowledges the government's execution of 5,000 civilians accused of sympathizing with North Korea during the early months of the Korean War."
- November 27, 2009 Space Shuttle Atlantis returns to Earth following the completion of its STS-129 mission.
- November 27, 2009 "The China National Space Administration sets a launch date of October 2009 for Chang'e 2, its second lunar orbiter."
- November 27, 2009 The Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting 2009 opens with the following issues on its agenda: discussion of climate change ahead of the December United Nations Climate Change Conference; Rwanda's admission into the Commonwealth of Nations; and Sri Lanka's bid to host the 2011 meeting.
- November 27, 2009 The International Atomic Energy Agency passes a resolution 25-3 condemning Iran for developing a secret uranium enrichment site.
- November 27, 2009 "The Irish Farmers' Association begins an operation to distribute emergency supplies of donated fodder to Ireland's flood-hit regions as the River Shannon rises further, threatening Limerick City."
- November 27, 2009 "The Ugandan parliament passes a controversial land bill, criticised by the Buganda kingdom."
- November 27, 2009 "The World Health Organization reports a one-week global increase of more than 1,000 deaths (85% increase in Europe) from the pandemic H1N1/09 virus."
- November 27, 2009 "Tiger Woods, the world's number one golfer, is hospitalised after sustaining injuries in a car crash in Orlando, Florida, USA."
- November 27, 2009 Vanuatu's Prime Minister Edward Natapei loses his parliamentary seat after he missed three consecutive sittings without submitting an explanation.
- November 27, 2009 Voters in Namibia vote in a general election.
- November 27, 2014 Thanksgiving day - US - (always last Thursday of November)