See what makes October 13 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on October 13
- October 13, 0409 Vandals and Alans crossed the Pyrenees and appeared in Hispania.
- October 13, 1282 "Nichiren Daishonin, founder of the Nichiren School of Buddhism, dies. His ashes are interred at Taisekiji Temple."
- October 13, 1307 "Hundreds of Knights Templar in France are simultaneously arrested by agents of Phillip the Fair, to be later tortured into ""admitting"" heresy."
- October 13, 1483 Rabbi Issac Abarbanel starts his exegesis on the Bible
- October 13, 1492 Columbus and his crew land in the Bahamas
- October 13, 1773 The Whirlpool Galaxy was discovered by Charles Messier
- October 13, 1775 Continental Congress orders construction of a naval fleet
- October 13, 1775 The United States Continental Congress orders the establishment of the Continental Navy (later renamed the United States Navy).
- October 13, 1792 Washington lays cornerstone of the Executive Mansion (White House)
- October 13, 1812 Battle of Queenston Heights
- October 13, 1843 B'nai B'rith founded in NY
- October 13, 1843 "In New York City, Henry Jones and 11 others found B'nai B'rith (the oldest Jewish service organization in the world)."
- October 13, 1845 "A majority of voters in the Republic of Texas approve a proposed constitution, that if accepted by the U.S. Congress, will make Texas a U.S. state."
- October 13, 1845 Texas ratifies a state constitution
- October 13, 1860 "First aerial photo taken in US (from a balloon), Boston"
- October 13, 1870 "The Kappa Kappa Gamma fraternity is founded at Monmouth College in Monmouth, Illinois, by six pioneering women."
- October 13, 1871 "The Delphic Fraternity is founded as the Delphic Society at the State Normal School in Geneseo, New York."
- October 13, 1881 Revival of the Hebrew language as Eliezer Ben-Yehuda and friends agree to use Hebrew exclusively in their conversations.
- October 13, 1884 Greenwich established as universal time meridian of longitude.
- October 13, 1885 "The Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) is founded in Atlanta, Georgia."
- October 13, 1890 "The Delta Chi fraternity is founded by 11 law students at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York."
- October 13, 1892 "Edward Emerson Barnard discovers D/1892 T1 (Barnard 3), the first comet discovered by photographic means, on the night of October 13-14."
- October 13, 1914 "The Algoma Central and Hudson Bay Railway is opened throughout between Sault Ste. Marie and Hearst, Ont. Construction was started in 1899 and it was opened in stages as follows: Hawk Junction (junction with the Michipicoten Branch) - 1911. Franz, (crossing with CP) - mid 1912. Oba (crossing with CN) - late 1912. . The name was shortened to Algoma Central in 1965."
- October 13, 1917 "The ""Miracle of the Sun"" is witnessed by an estimated 70,000 people in the Cova da Iria in Ftima, Portugal."
- October 13, 1918 "Mehmed Talat Pasha and the Young Turk (C.U.P.) ministry resign and sign an armistice, ending Ottoman participation in World War I."
- October 13, 1919 Race riot at Elaine Arkansas
- October 13, 1923 Ankara replaces Istanbul as the capital of Turkey.
- October 13, 1943 "Of 600 prisoners in Sobibor's Camp #1 who revolt and try to escape, most eventually are caught and killed."
- October 13, 1943 World War II: The new government of Italy sides with the Allies and declares war on Germany.
- October 13, 1944 US First army begins battle of Aachen
- October 13, 1944 "World War II: Riga, the capital of Latvia is seized by the Red Army."
- October 13, 1946 France adopts the constitution of the Fourth Republic.
- October 13, 1953 Burglar alarm-ultrasonic or radio waves-patented-Samuel Bagno
- October 13, 1957 German Dem Rep recalls the East Mark and issues new currency
- October 13, 1958 "Burial of Eugenio Pacelli, Pope Pius XII on the 41st anniversary of the ""Miracle of the Sun""."
- October 13, 1960 "1960 World Series: Pittsburgh Pirates second baseman Bill Mazeroski becomes the first person to end a World Series with a home run, as the Pirates beat the New York Yankees, four games to three."
- October 13, 1960 3rd presidential debate with Nixon in Hollywood and Kennedy in NY
- October 13, 1962 """Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"" opens on Broadway, with Uta Hagen"
- October 13, 1963 """Beatlemania"" is coined after the Beatles appear at the Palladium"
- October 13, 1964 Voskhod 1 crew returns
- October 13, 1967 "The first game in the history of the American Basketball Association is played as the Anaheim Amigos lose to the Oakland Oaks 134-129 in Oakland, California."
- October 13, 1969 Soyuz 8 is launched
- October 13, 1970 Angela Davis arrested in NYC
- October 13, 1971 1971 World Series: The first night game in World Series history is played at Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Stadium between the Baltimore Orioles and Pittsburgh Pirates.
- October 13, 1972 "Aeroflot Il-62 crashes in large pond outside Moscow, 176 die"
- October 13, 1972 An Aeroflot Ilyushin Il-62 crashed outside Moscow killing 176.
- October 13, 1972 "Uruguay to Chile plane crashes in Andes Mountain, (12/23 rescue)"
- October 13, 1972 "Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 crashes in the Andes mountains, in between the borders of Argentina and Chile. By December 23, 1972 only 16 out of 45 people lived long enough to be rescued."
- October 13, 1976 "A Bolivian Boeing 707 cargo jet crashes in Santa Cruz, Bolivia killing 100 (97, mostly children, killed on the ground)."
- October 13, 1976 "The first electron micrograph of an Ebola viral particle was obtained by Dr. F.A. Murphy, now at U.C. Davis, who was then working at the C.D.C.."
- October 13, 1977 Four Palestinians hijack Lufthansa Flight 181 to Somalia and demand release of 11 members of the Red Army Faction.
- October 13, 1978 "James Earl Ray, assassin of Martin Luther King weds Anna Sandhu"
- October 13, 1978 "Tiros N, US's First 3rd generation weather satellite, is launched"
- October 13, 1981 Vice President Hosni Mubarak elected president of Egypt
- October 13, 1982 IOC restores 2 gold medals from 1912 Olympics to Jim Thorpe
- October 13, 1983 "Ameritech Mobile Communications (now Cingular) launched the first US cellular network in Chicago, Illinois."
- October 13, 1987 Costa Rican Pres Oscar Arias wins Nobel Peace Prize
- October 13, 1987 First military use of trained dolphins (US Navy in Persian Gulf)
- October 13, 1988 Concert at Masada ends Israel's 40th-anniversary fest
- October 13, 1989 Dow Jones down 190.58 points
- October 13, 1990 End of the Lebanese war. Syrian forces launch an attack on the free areas of Lebanon removing General Michel Aoun from the presidential palace.
- October 13, 1993 Captured American Pilot Mike Durant is filmed in an interview in captivity by a CNN camera crew.
- October 13, 2003 "The Public Library of Science commences publication of an open access scientific journal, PLoS Biology."
- October 13, 2007 Important Islamic date - Eid ul-Fitr (Festival of the Breaking of the Fast)
- October 13, 2008 "Jewish Holiday - Sukkot - No work permitted on Oct. 14-15. Work is permitted on Oct. 16-17-19 with certain restrictions. October 13-19, 2008"
- October 13, 2009 "A previously unrecognized painting, La Bella Principessa, is attributed to Leonardo da Vinci on fingerprint evidence."
- October 13, 2009 "A Russian court rejects a libel suit by Yevgeny Dzhugashvili, the grandson of Joseph Stalin, who claimed the Novaya Gazeta newspaper lied about Stalin personally signing death warrants."
- October 13, 2009 An autopsy on the body of Boyzone singer Stephen Gately finds he died of natural causes.
- October 13, 2009 An investigation begins into the deaths of two Irish Army Air Corps pilots in a plane crash in County Galway on Monday.
- October 13, 2009 Angola and the Democratic Republic of the Congo agree to stop deporting each other's citizens in a dispute between the two countries.
- October 13, 2009 Czech President V clav Klaus tells his supporters he will never sign the Treaty of Lisbon.
- October 13, 2009 Members of the Norwegian Nobel Peace Prize jury speak out in defense of selecting U.S. President Barack Obama for the award.
- October 13, 2009 More than 260 Sri Lankan asylum seekers threaten to blow up their boat if Indonesian authorities force them to disembark.
- October 13, 2009 New Zealand police say an autopsy on two-year-old Aisling Symes reveals she drowned. She had initially been thought abducted but lay in a drain for one week as police searched.
- October 13, 2009 "North and South Korea agree to hold talks on flood control and family reunions, after North Korea fired several short range missiles earlier this week."
- October 13, 2009 S‚amus Kirk is elected the 16th Ceann Comhairle of Ireland following the resignation of John O'Donoghue.
- October 13, 2009 South African police use tear gas to disperse protesters demonstrating against poor living conditions in several towns.
- October 13, 2009 Spanish authorities arrest five members of the banned Basque political group Batasuna.
- October 13, 2009 The Philippines deploys soldiers and gunboats to surround the strongholds of suspected militants and pressure them to release an abducted Irish priest.
- October 13, 2009 "The Romanian government loses a motion of no confidence, the first government to fall in 20 years since the fall of communism in the country."
- October 13, 2009 The United States Senate Finance Committee approves a bill for major healthcare reform. (BBC News)
- October 13, 2010 "33 miners rescued after being trapped for 10 weeks 2,000 feet underground - Chile"