See what makes October 30 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on October 30
- October 30, 0637 Antioch surrenders to the Muslim forces under Rashidun Caliphate after the Battle of Iron bridge.
- October 30, 1137 Battle of Rignano between Ranulf of Apulia and Roger II of Sicily.
- October 30, 1270 8th & last crusade is launched
- October 30, 1270 "The Eighth Crusade and siege of Tunis end by an agreement between Charles I of Sicily (brother to King Louis IX of France, who had died months earlier) and the sultan of Tunis."
- October 30, 1340 Battle of Rio Salado.
- October 30, 1470 Henry VI of England returns to the English throne after Earl of Warwick defeats Yorkists in battle.
- October 30, 1485 Henry VII of England crowned.
- October 30, 1502 Vasco da Gama returns to Calicut for the second time.
- October 30, 1775 Congress authorizes four vessels for the defense of the United Colonies.
- October 30, 1799 William Balch becomes Navy's first commissioned Chaplain.
- October 30, 1831 "In Southampton County, Virginia, escaped slave Nat Turner is captured and arrested for leading the bloodiest slave revolt in United States history."
- October 30, 1863 "Danish Prince Wilhelm arrives in Athens to assume his throne as George I, King of the Hellenes."
- October 30, 1864 "Helena, Montana is founded after four prospectors discover gold at ""Last Chance Gulch."""
- October 30, 1864 "Helena, Montana's capital, founded"
- October 30, 1864 "Second war of Schleswig ends. Denmark renounces all claim to Schleswig, Holstein and Lauenburg, which come under Prussian and Austrian administration."
- October 30, 1871 Phila Athletics beat Chicago for first Natl Assn baseball pennant
- October 30, 1888 First ballpoint pen patented
- October 30, 1893 "Charles Atlas (real name Angelo Siciliano), bodybuilder born"
- October 30, 1894 Domenico Melegatti obtains a patent for a procedure to be applied in producing pandoro industrially.
- October 30, 1905 """October Manifesto"" Russian Tsar Nicholas II grants civil liberties"
- October 30, 1917 "Lt. Hugh Mackenzie (7th Cdn. Machine Gun Company) wins the Victoria Cross at Passchendaele, Belgium"
- October 30, 1917 "Sgt. George Harry Mullin (Princess Patricia's Cdn. Light Infantry) wins the Victoria Cross at Passchendaele, Belgium"
- October 30, 1918 Slovakia asks for creation of Czechoslovakian state
- October 30, 1918 "The Ottoman Empire signs an armistice with the Allies, ending the First World War in the Middle East."
- October 30, 1922 Benito Mussolini is made Prime Minister of Italy.
- October 30, 1922 Mussolini forms cabinet in Italy
- October 30, 1925 John Logie Baird creates Britain's first television transmitter.
- October 30, 1929 "The Stuttgart Cable Car is constructed in Stuttgart, Germany."
- October 30, 1930 Turkey & Greece sign a treaty of friendship
- October 30, 1938 "Orson Welles broadcasts his radio play of H. G. Wells's The War of the Worlds, causing a nationwide panic in the United States."
- October 30, 1939 USSR & Germany agree on partitioning Poland
- October 30, 1940 "HMS STURDY, lost west coast of Scotland, on Tiree Island - ran aground in fog and wrecked."
- October 30, 1941 "1,500 Jews from Pidhaytsi (in western Ukraine) are sent by Nazis to Belzec extermination camp."
- October 30, 1941 "USS Reuben James torpedoed by Germans, even though US is not in war"
- October 30, 1944 Anne Frank (of Diary fame) is deported from Auschwitz to Belsen
- October 30, 1944 Anne Frank is deported from Auschwitz to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.
- October 30, 1945 "Henry Winkler, actor (Happy Days, the Fonz) born"
- October 30, 1945 Jackie Robinson of the Kansas City Monarchs signs a contract for the Brooklyn Dodgers to break the baseball color barrier.
- October 30, 1945 US government announces end of shoe rationing
- October 30, 1947 "The General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), which is the foundation of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), is founded."
- October 30, 1948 "20 die & 6,000 made ill by smog in Donora Pennsylvania"
- October 30, 1953 Dr Albert Schweitzer & Gen George C Marshall win Nobel Peace Prize
- October 30, 1956 Israel captures Egyptian militay post at El-Thamad
- October 30, 1960 Michael Woodruff performs the first successful kidney transplant in the United Kingdom at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
- October 30, 1961 "Because of ""violations of Lenin's precepts"", it is decreed that Josef Stalin's body be removed from its place of honour inside Lenin's tomb and buried near the Kremlin wall with a plain granite marker instead."
- October 30, 1961 Soviet Party Congress unanimously approves a resolution removing Josef Stalin's body from Lenin's tomb in Red Square
- October 30, 1965 "Fireworks explosions kill 50 in Cartagena, Colombia"
- October 30, 1965 The Canadian National-Canadian Pacific passenger pool train arrangement is terminated.
- October 30, 1965 "Vietnam War: Just miles from Da Nang, United States Marines repel an intense attack by wave after wave of Viet Cong forces, killing 56 guerrillas. Among the dead, a sketch of Marine positions was found on the body of a 13-year-old Vietnamese boy who sold drinks to the Marines the day before."
- October 30, 1967 USSR Kosmos 186 & 188 make first automatic docking & Venmera 13 launch
- October 30, 1970 "In Vietnam, the worst monsoon to hit the area in six years causes large floods, kills 293, leaves 200,000 homeless and virtually halts the Vietnam War."
- October 30, 1972 "A collision between two commuter trains in Chicago, Illinois kills 45 and injures 332."
- October 30, 1972 Worst US rail accident in 14 years; 45 die in Chicago
- October 30, 1973 "The Bosporus Bridge in Istanbul, Turkey is completed, connecting the continents of Europe and Asia over the Bosporus for the first time."
- October 30, 1974 "Muhammad Ali KOs George Foreman in 8th round in Kinshasa, Za?re"
- October 30, 1975 "John Bucyk, Boston, became 7th NHLer to score 500 goals"
- October 30, 1975 "NY Daily News runs headline ""Ford to City: Drop Dead"""
- October 30, 1975 "Prince Juan Carlos becomes Spain's acting head of state, taking over for the country's ailing dictator, Gen. Francisco Franco."
- October 30, 1976 Jane Pauley becomes news co-anchor of the Today Show
- October 30, 1976 Rev Joseph Evans elected president of the United Church of Christ
- October 30, 1978 "Laura Nickel & Curt Noll find 25th Mersenne prime, 2 ^ 21701-1"
- October 30, 1979 Richard Arrington elected mayor of Birmingham
- October 30, 1980 El Salvador and Honduras sign a peace treaty to put the border dispute fought over in 1969's Football War before the International Court of Justice.
- October 30, 1980 Honduras & El Salvador settle their boundary dispute
- October 30, 1980 NASA launches Flt Satcom-4
- October 30, 1983 The first democratic elections in Argentina after seven years of military rule are held.
- October 30, 1986 Discovery moves to OPF where more than 200 modification are made
- October 30, 1987 "Creation of Anprotec, the Brazilian Association of Science Parks and Business Incubators, which nowadays comprises circa 400 business incubators and 50 science and technology parks initiatives."
- October 30, 1987 "In Japan, NEC releases the first 16-bit home entertainment system, the TurboGrafx-16, known as PC Engine."
- October 30, 1988 2 gambling clubs & 1 player share 61.38 M California lotto jackpot
- October 30, 1988 Philip Morris buys Kraft Foods for U.S. $13.1 billion.
- October 30, 1989 "Charles Tomas Sawdon, the young kingpin of future crime and deviance is born in York."
- October 30, 1991 The Madrid Conference for Middle East peace talks opens.
- October 30, 1995 Quebec Separatists narrowly defeated ( 50.6 percent to 49.4) in a vote to remain within the federation of Canada
- October 30, 1995 Quebec sovereignists narrowly lose a referendum for a mandate to negotiate independence from Canada (vote was 50.6% to 49.4%).
- October 30, 1996 "RaiLink-Ottawa Valley takes over operation of the former CP line between Smiths Falls and Cartier, Ont as well as the Mattawa to Temiskaming branch in Quebec."
- October 30, 2002 British Digital terrestrial television (DTT) Service Freeview begins transmitting in parts of the United Kingdom.
- October 30, 2005 The rebuilt Dresden Frauenkirche (destroyed in the firebombing of Dresden during World War II) is reconsecrated after a thirteen-year rebuilding project.
- October 30, 2009 "A large fire at an oil depot on the outskirts of Jaipur, Rajasthan, India, leaves six people dead and around 135 injured."
- October 30, 2009 A U.S. judge orders a trial for two doctors and a lawyer accused of providing American sex symbol Anna Nicole Smith with drugs. (
- October 30, 2009 African Union leaders agree to establish a hybrid court to end the Darfur conflict in western Sudan.
- October 30, 2009 "Burmese authorities arrest 50 people ? including journalists, students and political activists, in a security crackdown, according to a Thailand based human rights group."
- October 30, 2009 European Union leaders agree a climate aid deal to help developing countries adapt to global warming.
- October 30, 2009 Former French President Jacques Chirac is ordered to stand trial on corruption charges. (France 24)
- October 30, 2009 "Honduras' de facto leader Roberto Micheletti and ousted President Manuel Zelaya agree a deal to end the political crisis, reinstating Zelaya as President."
- October 30, 2009 Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) approves plans to allow non-Latin web addresses for the first time.
- October 30, 2009 NASA reveals that a partial parachute failure resulted in damage to the Ares I-X test booster upon splashdown in the Atlantic Ocean following its test flight on Wednesday.
- October 30, 2009 "Native tribesmen in the Amazon Rainforest discover a downed Brazilian military transport plane, finding nine survivors."
- October 30, 2009 "South Korea's spy agency, the National Intelligence Service, names North Korea's telecommunications ministry as responsible for a wave of cyber attacks in July."
- October 30, 2009 Taiwan's President Ma Ying-jeou calls on China to remove missiles targeting the island.
- October 30, 2009 Typhoon Mirinae makes landfall in the Philippines.